[Lguest] [TUTORIAL 0/2] LCA2008 lguest tutorial output

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Sun Feb 3 23:59:43 EST 2008

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 03:54:56PM +1100, Mark Wallis wrote:
> Hi Paul,

> On 31/01/2008, at 9:06 PM, Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:

>> I can't usefully demonstrate that the M-hiofix is actually correct,
>> but
>> M-lmapfile works as far as I can see.

> I've run your patches up against 2.6.23 and they look to be working
> well for me.

> Do you think we should be cleaning up the ~/.lguest/ file once the
> guest has shutdown ?

I do indeed, an excellent point.

Just to note, this work was part of the foundation for suspend and
resuming, which obviously requires the memory file to optionally stick
around. Presumably the lguest launcher would know when an lguest was
beign suspended, and so would know to not delete the file.

On the other hand, this work also forms the foundation of the
find-and-share-all-common-memory-pages code, which as spec'd assumes
that all the files in ~/.lguest are current active lguests.

Maybe the suspending exit from the guest should move that file somewhere
else, or rename it so that it's recognisable by the commonality-finder
as being uninteresting.

Is there a plan to take this work any further than interest in what we
got done in the tutorial? I believe Rusty mentioned he was interested in
the feedback and results, but I don't know if he was planning on
adjusting this tutorial specifically, or just in terms of the format and
scaling.

I tried to rebase my patches (blindly) onto 2.6.24, but they failed
because alloc_zeroed_memory_page has changed function (and now I suspect
can't be used with a file-backed mapping as I did here) and io.c in the
lguest host code is gone completely, and I didn't bother looking for
where the relevant code went.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
Very-later-year Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/