[Lguest] /proc/kcore in guest

Sujit Sanjeev sujit771 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 14:51:19 EST 2008

Hi,

On a machine with 1GB RAM, I booted an lguest guest with 256MB memory as
follows:
./lguest --block='blockfile' --initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.23-rc9 256m
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23-rc9 root=/dev/lgba rw single

The size of /proc/kcore file in the host obtained using 'ls -la' is
1073422336,
while the same command executed within the guest shows the size as
1069228032.

Since the size of /proc/kcore represents the size of the physical memory
(RAM), and I boot the guest with just 256MB
of memory, shouldn't the size of the kcore file under guest be 256MB instead
of around 1GB?

Will the contents of /proc/kcore in the guest also reflect the contents of
the host memory?

Please let me know.

Thanks!
Sujit