[Lguest] Looking to replace uml, but missing feature :)

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Fri Sep 28 07:42:13 EST 2007

Hi,

The Openswan team uses a nightly test harness using UML's. For each
test, we fire up 2 to 5 UML's (to ensure a virgin state) and then do
our testing, and then shut them down and proceed to the next test. We
currnetly have about 200 test cases. Unfortunately, this frequently
causes hundrerds of hanging UML processes.

So we are looking at lguest, and see if we can use that instead. One
feature we heavilly use in our UML setup is to boot images with specifying
a directory as root for an image, without the need to rebuild all those
rootfs images all the time (and requiring root to run mkfs). We can simply
use a "virgin" root directory (that's never written to) and just nfs mount
a location with the specific configuration files and write space for the
log files for later interpretation.

Is a similar feature planned for lguest?

Paul