[Lguest] Kprobes module makes lguest crash when inserted

Alexandre Courbot gnurou at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 16:07:13 EST 2007

Hello Rusty, thanks for your reply!

>         Yes, I'm not surprised it fails.  We don't support debug register
> manipulation in the guest.  Not for any particularly good reason, mind
> you, I just never got around to it and you're the first person to want
> it.
>
> It's not that hard to do, but it requires some understanding of debug
> registers.  Anyone with an Intel manual can implement it (a new
> hypercall plus some sanity checking plus restoring debug registers
> before entering the guest).

Allright, I see. So maybe I could have a look at this stuff then - I'm
neither a kernel expert nor do I know much about debug registers, but
maybe with the proper documentation I could come with something.
Lguest by itself is rather compact and well documented, which would
help a lot. Do you think that would be realistic in a reasonable
amount of time, or would it require more experience?

Thanks,
Alex.