[Lguest] general protection error

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Sat Sep 8 01:41:08 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 23:45 -0400, John mathews wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to this list. So, i may not be aware of some protocols of
> communication. Here is the issue i am facing:
>
> I am using linux-2.6.23-rc5 and trying to boot lguest guest machine.
> I get following error during the boot time ( and boot stops):
>
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 296l freed
> Warning: unable to open an initial console
> hwclock[939] general protection eip:804b7b3 esp:bf8f5fe0 error:0

Hi John,

	The hwclock error is harmless and expected.  The "unable to open an
initial console" is more concerning, however, which is why you're not
seeing a prompt.

	Are you booting with "console=" on the command line?  You shouldn't
need to.  If not, can you send your .config and your exact lguest
command line?

Thanks for the report,
Rusty.