[Lguest] My vector reserve patches etc. so Plan 9 boots.

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Thu Sep 6 16:54:03 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 08:29 -0700, ron minnich wrote:
> On 9/3/07, Rusty Russell <rusty at rustcorp.com.au> wrote:
>

> > > patch 0004 is a slight mod of Rusty's earlier work. The change is that
> > > we're not doing request_irq, since this is not an IRQ we want, but a
> > > vector; and hence we don't need the null handler.
> >
> > If vector is already in use, this code will reserve it anyway.  I think
> > what we actually want is a "used_vectors" bitmap and associated lock.
> > It's clear and simple, and avoids the abstraction layer...
>
> Actually, there is a simpler way than that: just use the vector array
> that's already in io_apic.c, which has a lock, add 3 functions, i.e.
> test, set, and clear, done!
>
> I am kind of unsure of how this ought to go, since I hear of  390 and
> PPC and x86_64 lguest ports ... how far is this going to go? OTOH from
> Jes's last note I see the syscall_vector stuff moved to 386-specific
> parts of lguest.

io_apic.c is not always built-in, and unfortunately the vector array
there is a mapping from irq -> vector, and that's not what we want for
reservation.

Sorry for the changes on this, but I'm still a little uncomfortable with
the code (and frankly, with the merge window a while off I can
procrastinate a little 8)

These compile, but untested...
Rusty.