[Lguest] interest in copy-on-write disk image support?

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 13:42:52 EST 2007

for work I am doing I have tiny (8MB) block devices. I want to run
about 100 guests, however. I've added a new block type, pblock, which
does a PRIVATE mmap of a file. Writes, therefore, create a new page,
so each guest has a mutating disk. Kill the guest, all changes go
away. This is perfect for what I am doing.

Seems to work fine.

Is there any interest in this given the move to privio? If so I can
post a patch. It's simple.

Also, to avoid DHCP, I am thinking of putting guest IP in low 32 bits
of MAC. Any reason this would not work? It's more useful than lots of
zeros ... however, Rusty tells me he is trying to wean guests off
guest ids, which I actually don't understand the rationale for. Rusty,
what's up with that? For me, a nice simple ordinal guest id is a good
thing. What can/will replace it?

thanks

ron