[Lguest] Initrd can't find /dev/lgba

Arun Thomas arun.thomas at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 13:12:57 EST 2007

Hi all,

I'm having a problem when I use an initrd with lguest. I'm running a
stock 2.6.23 kernel that I built with ubuntu's kernel-package. It
creates an initrd for me. I run lguest as so:

Documentation/lguest/lguest --block=feisty.raw
--initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.23-custom 512
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23-custom root=/dev/lgba

When I run lguest, the guest kernel complains that /dev/lgba does not exist:

Begin: Waiting for root file system... ...
Done.
        Check root= bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
        or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
ALERT! /dev/lgba does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

Shouldn't udev automatically create the /dev/lgba entry? Do I need to
add a udev rule in the initrd for /dev/lgba? I'm not really clear on
how this works, so I'd appreciate any guidance.

I have the kernel configured as outlined in the docs:

CONFIG_PARAVIRT=y
CONFIG_LGUEST=m
CONFIG_LGUEST_GUEST=y
CONFIG_LGUEST_NET=y