[Lguest] guest 'reboots; once it boots

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Wed Dec 12 12:19:39 EST 2007

On Wednesday 12 December 2007 02:52:52 Balaji Rao R wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I installed a minimal fc8 system on a file using qemu and proceeded to
> boot it using lguest. The system attempts to restart once i boot it,
> and reboot also fails, and i end up at the shell.  Here's the dump at
> the console. The hwclock program fails due to a GPF.
> What am i doing wrong ?

Hi Balaji!

    Nothing is wrong, hwclock tries to access the raw hardware and fails.
That's normal.

    Reboot is waiting for you to implement it!

> Why is the guest trying to reboot here ?

I don't know, something in userspace is calling reboot...

> Also, the reboot program crashes because of the 'triple fault' that
> exists in native_machine_emergency_restart. Cant this be overridden
> for the guest to handle it for the guest ?

Yes, override that in paravirt_ops to make a hypercall, then pass some
errorcode back to the launcher, then have the launcher exec itself
to "reboot".

I look forward to your patch!
Rusty.