[Lguest] VFS: Cannot open root device "lgba" or unknown-block(254, 0)

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 02:35:46 EST 2007

On 8/30/07, Rusty Russell <rusty at rustcorp.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 14:07 +1000, James Turnbull wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > Playing with lguest and having what may be a PEBCAK moment but not sure.
> >
> > Kernel is 2.6.23-rc3 and base.img is a debootstrap'ed sarge disk image.
> >
> > Am getting the below error - also tried with the xen rootfile suggested
> > by Rusty's doco - and got the same error.
>
> Hmm, perhaps you don't have ext2 built-in, and you have an ext2 root
> filesystem?

oh, yeah, that's a common one too.

It can be useful (I've done it anyway) to set up an initrd with a few
handy tools, and drop into a shell while in initrd, and see what's up.
Do the bringup steps by hand, in other words. It can be illuminating.
Makes for a big initrd, but hey ... it's for debugging. Although I've
run  cluster nodes with nothing but an initrd.

ron