[Lguest] More than one NICs in guest System

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Sat Aug 25 22:24:30 EST 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-25 at 12:24 +0200, Karl Meyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> then using lguest with more than one nic
> Documentation/lguest/lguest 64m vmlinux --tunnet=192.168.254.10
> --tunnet=192.168.200.1 --block=/dev/hdb1 root=/dev/lgba
>
> the second nic within the guest system is called eth1_rename, which is
> not very practical.

Hi Karl!

	That seems like a guest OS problem to me: Ubuntu likes to rename
devices, for example (see /etc/iftab).

> What also would be interesting is if the guest system would be able
> access a piece of the systems hardware directly and exclusivly. It
> would be nice if I could attach one nic to the guest system and one to
> the host system.

Unfortunately, giving direct access to hardware breaks isolation: you
can tell that card to dma to/from anywhere in memory 8(

However, more efficient I/O is coming as part of the (multi hypervisor)
virtio work: the plan is that lguest will get all the virtio drivers for
free...

Thanks,
Rusty.