Pulls and drive strengths in the pinctrl world

Tomasz Figa tomasz.figa at gmail.com
Wed May 22 04:28:18 EST 2013

On Friday 17 of May 2013 14:26:25 Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD wrote:
> On 18:22 Wed 15 May     , Stephen Warren wrote:

> > > I don't have anything interesting at the moment. It's a bit late now
> > > here (2 AM), so I'm going to get some sleep first.
> > >
> > > Also after reading Stephen's reply, I'm wondering if hogging
> > > wouldn't
> > > solve the problem indeed. (It might have to be fixed on
> > > pinctrl-samsung
> > > first, as last time I tried to use it, it caused some errors from
> > > pinctrl core, but haven't time to track them down, as it wasn't
> > > anything important at that time).
> >
> > One issue I noticed with the DT fragments earlier in this thread. It
> > looks like hogs in the Samsung pinctrl bingings end up looking like:
> >
> > pinctrl {
> >
> >     pina {
> >
> >         samsung,pins = <PIN_A PIN_B PIN_C>;
> >         samsung,pin-function = <0xf>;
> >         samsung,pin-pud = <0>;
>
> I have a huge issue here that we had on at91 too
>
> we are going to have a huge numbet of node
>
> and on at91 we handle the pin the same way as samsung
> and ST have also a similiar IP
>
> so I'll prefer to reuse the AT91 DT bindings
>
> as said by Linus I just push a cleanup of the magic by using Macro
> which make it really readable now
>
> some extract of the sama5 pinctrl
>
> 	mmc0 {
> 		pinctrl_mmc0_clk_cmd_dat0: mmc0_clk_cmd_dat0 {
> 			atmel,pins =
> 				<AT91_PIOD 9 AT91_PERIPH_A
AT91_PINCTRL_NONE	/* PD9 periph A MCI0_CK
> */ AT91_PIOD 0 AT91_PERIPH_A AT91_PINCTRL_PULL_UP	/* PD0 periph A
> MCI0_CDA with pullup */ AT91_PIOD 1 AT91_PERIPH_A
> AT91_PINCTRL_PULL_UP>;	/* PD1 periph A MCI0_DA0 with pullup */ };
> 		pinctrl_mmc0_dat1_3: mmc0_dat1_3 {
> 			atmel,pins =
> 				<AT91_PIOD 2 AT91_PERIPH_A
AT91_PINCTRL_PULL_UP	/* PD2 periph A
> MCI0_DA1 with pullup */ AT91_PIOD 3 AT91_PERIPH_A
> AT91_PINCTRL_PULL_UP	/* PD3 periph A MCI0_DA2 with pullup */ AT91_PIOD
> 4 AT91_PERIPH_A AT91_PINCTRL_PULL_UP>;	/* PD4 periph A MCI0_DA3
with
> pullup */ };
> 		pinctrl_mmc0_dat4_7: mmc0_dat4_7 {
> 			atmel,pins =
> 				<AT91_PIOD 5 AT91_PERIPH_A
AT91_PINCTRL_PULL_UP	/* PD5 periph A
> MCI0_DA4 with pullup, conflicts with TIOA0, PWMH2 */ AT91_PIOD 6
> AT91_PERIPH_A AT91_PINCTRL_PULL_UP	/* PD6 periph A MCI0_DA5 with
> pullup, conflicts with TIOB0, PWML2 */ AT91_PIOD 7 AT91_PERIPH_A
> AT91_PINCTRL_PULL_UP	/* PD7 periph A MCI0_DA6 with pullup, conlicts
> with TCLK0, PWMH3 */ AT91_PIOD 8 AT91_PERIPH_A
> AT91_PINCTRL_PULL_UP>;	/* PD8 periph A MCI0_DA7 with pullup,
conflicts
> with PWML3 */ };
> 	};
>
> of sam9g45
>
> 	i2c_gpio2 {
> 		pinctrl_i2c_gpio2: i2c_gpio2-0 {
> 			atmel,pins =
> 				<AT91_PIOB 4 AT91_PERIPH_GPIO
AT91_PINCTRL_MULTI_DRIVE	/* PB4 gpio
> multidrive I2C2 data */ AT91_PIOB 5 AT91_PERIPH_GPIO
> AT91_PINCTRL_MULTI_DRIVE>;	/* PB5 gpio multidrive I2C2 clock */ };
> 	};
>
> so we could share the c code too

OK. After thinking about it a bit more recently, I think your solution
might be fine.

However there is one thing I'm worried about. As far as I remember, when
setting a function (mux selector), pinctrl core calls pin_request() to
request all pins of the group for the device which requested the
configuration.

Now if we use hogs to set up default configuration of pins, all of them
would get requested for the pin controller and then further pin control
configuration done by device drivers would fail. This is why I wanted to
allow setting pinmux and pinconf separately, without one requiring
another.

Best regards,
Tomasz