[RFC 0/2] clk: samsung: add composite clocks

Heiko Stübner heiko at sntech.de
Tue May 21 00:14:30 EST 2013

Am Montag, 20. Mai 2013, 16:17:06 schrieb Rahul Sharma:
> This patch adds support for composite clocks for samsung SoCs.
> Many drivers need access to a common clock which support gating
> and/or muxing and/or rate control operations. For example hdmi
> which needs to switch between parents and call enable/disable for
> "sclk_hdmi".
>
> This patch set also adds composite clock for exyno5250 hdmi. Based
> on the review comment, I will extended this to other exynos SoCs
> clocks files.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the target of the common clock
framework was to prevent every SoC from introducing their own special clock
types and instead  create these structures from separate clocks (mux clk +
gate clk) and not to have every SoC create their own custom clock types.

The Samsung clock drivers at the moment follow this paradigm of combining the
existing "simple" clocks and only introduce new clock types for the pll
clocks, that really need special handling.

So it would probably good to keep it this way and define your clocks from
their individual components, as all the other Samsung clocks currently do.

Heiko