Pulls and drive strengths in the pinctrl world

Tomasz Figa tomasz.figa at gmail.com
Sun May 19 00:57:15 EST 2013

On Saturday 18 of May 2013 10:18:47 Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD
wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > 	};
> > >
> > > of sam9g45
> > >
> > > 	i2c_gpio2 {
> > >
> > > 		pinctrl_i2c_gpio2: i2c_gpio2-0 {
> > >
> > > 			atmel,pins =
> > >
> > > 				<AT91_PIOB 4 AT91_PERIPH_GPIO
> >
> > AT91_PINCTRL_MULTI_DRIVE	/* PB4 gpio
> >
> > > multidrive I2C2 data */ AT91_PIOB 5 AT91_PERIPH_GPIO
> > > AT91_PINCTRL_MULTI_DRIVE>;	/* PB5 gpio multidrive I2C2 clock
*/ };

> > > 	};
> > >
> > > so we could share the c code too
> >
> > I'd have a question with regard to AT91 bindings.
> >
> > Using Samsung bindings we don't need to specify all configuration
> > options for a pin, only those that are relevant for the platform. Do
> > your bindings allow this?
>
> on at91 we have this too we just put NONE, and I'm planning to allow to
> drop the last option too (not yet implement)
>
> > Apparently AT91 has less configurable things and those available are
> > usually always configured together so it's not a problem. But on our
> > SoCs we have a bit more of them:
> > - function (input, output, special functions)
> > - pull-down/-up
> > - driver strength
> > - power down mode function (input, output low, output high, retention)
> > - power down mode pull-down/-up
> > - one could argue that default output value could be set this way as
> > well, by adding samsung,pin-value property.
>
> on Atmel you have
>
> first a pin need to be muxed as a gpio or a function name periph
>  depending on the SoC we can have up to 4 function mode + gpio
>
> then each pin have feature that are independent of the mux function
>
> Bits used for CONFIG: (4th parameter)
> PULL_UP         (1 << 0): indicate this pin need a pull up.
> MULTIDRIVE      (1 << 1): indicate this pin need to be configured as
> multidrive. DEGLITCH        (1 << 2): indicate this pin need deglitch.
> PULL_DOWN       (1 << 3): indicate this pin need a pull down.
> DIS_SCHMIT      (1 << 4): indicate this pin need to disable schmit
> trigger. DEBOUNCE        (1 << 16): indicate this pin need debounce.
> DEBOUNCE_VAL    (0x3fff << 17): debounce val.
>
> today I was planning to update the binding to allow to this
>
> instead of writing this
>
> dbgu {
> 	pinctrl_dbgu: dbgu-0 {
> 		atmel,pins =
> 			<AT91_PIOB 30 AT91_PERIPH_A AT91_PINCTRL_NONE
> 			 AT91_PIOB 31 AT91_PERIPH_A AT91_PINCTRL_PULL_UP>;
> 	};
> };
>
> we will write this
>
> dbgu {
> 	pinctrl_dbgu: dbgu-0 {
> 		atmel,pins =
> 			<AT91_PIOB 30 AT91_PERIPH_A>,
> 			 AT91_PIOB 31 AT91_PERIPH_A AT91_PINCTRL_PULL_UP>;
> 	};
> };
>
> so a pin can have 3 or more parameter
>
> so as a generic binding only the 3 first will be namdatory (bank pinnp
> muxid) the rest will driver specific
>
> for power down I plan to define an other node
AT91_PINCTRL_PULL_DOWN>;
> 	};
> };

I'm afraid this won't work for Samsung SoCs. In our case normal and power
down settings are completely unrelated, i.e. stored in separate registers
and one doesn't affect another (a system controller automatically switches
between normal and power down settings when entering or leaving low power
modes, like SoC-level suspend).

Personally I'd prefer a solution with separate property for each
parameter, because it's much more flexible and allows shorter lines,
making device tree sources more readable.

Best regards,
Tomasz