[RFCv1 07/11] irqchip: armada-370-xp: add MSI support to interrupt controller driver

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Wed Mar 27 08:31:45 EST 2013

On Tuesday 26 March 2013, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> > FWIW, MSI-X is not restricted to 16 bits, so if you can detect from
> > the PCI layer if it is setting up MSI or MSI-X you could allocate low
> > bits first to MSI-X and high bits first to MSI, increasing the number
> > of available MSI/MSI-X vectors.
>
> This could be an improvement. There are also other, non-per-CPU,
> doorbell interrupts that could potentially be used. Can we consider
> this a possible improvement, and not something that is fundamentally
> necessary? For now, I'm trying to get the current feature set merged,
> and not necessarily to extend it to cover all possible features of the
> hardware.

If we are extending the DT binding for the current feature, we should
at least think about how it would look like for future extensions, to
make sure it won't be fundamentally incompatible.

> > > +   - marvell,doorbell: Gives the physical address at which PCIe
> > > +     devices should write to signal an MSI interrupt.
> >
> > Why is this necessary? Can't the doorbell register physical address be
> > computed by the driver? AFAIK there is no possibility for address
> > translation on SOC inbound TLPs.
>
> It is the responsibility of the PCIe driver to prepare the 'struct
> msi_msg', which contains the physical address at which the PCIe device
> should write to trigger an MSI. But this physical address is part of
> the interrupt controller registers, so there is no way for the PCIe
> driver to magically know about it.

If we introduce an irq_find_msi_host() interface, we can also introduce
an interface to return the doorbell register, or more. I suppose
we could actually have a generic version of your mvebu_pcie_setup_msi_irq()
function that looks up the domain from the device node and calls
a new irq_domain_ops function, which allocates a free MSI hwirq number,
creates a mapping for it, and fills out a struct msi_msg with the
doorbell register and data.

> > Thinking about it a bit, maybe less magic code is needed here, be
> > explicit about the available interrupts in the DT:
> >
> > pcie-controller {
> >    msi-interrupts = <0xd0020a04 (1<<16) &msi 16
> >                      0xd0020a04 (1<<17) &msi 17
> >                      [..]
> >    msi-x-interrupts = <0xd0020a04 (1<<1) &msi 1
> >                        0xd0020a04 (1<<2) &msi 2
> >                        [..]
> >
> > There is a better chance of that supporting other Marvell SOCs.. Not
> > sure, just throwing it out there.
>
> Isn't that very verbose, to list each and every MSI interrupt, bit per
> bit? I'm fine with doing that (except maybe implement both MSI and
> MSI-X support, I'd like to stick with the current feature set for now),
> but it sounds like a lot more code in the DT and a lot more code in the
> driver to parse this... just to get the exact same feature.
>
> Arnd, what is your feeling about this suggestion?

I think we should only need an msi-parent property and let the details
be handled by the irq driver.

> > Also, I'm not super familiar with the irq stuff, but is
> > irq_find_mapping the best way? Most of the drivers I looked at used
> > irq_alloc_descs to get a contiguous range of irq numbers and then just
> > used a simple offset in the handle_irq...
>
> I'll let Arnd answer this one, but I'm pretty sure that using IRQ
> domains is the way to go. The fact that a number of drivers don't yet
> use IRQ domains is maybe just because they haven't been converted yet.

Yes, irq_find_mapping is what we should be using here.

	Arnd