Testing a OF Device Tree driver on a kernel using a board file.

Mr. Robert G Palmer Jr. robert.palmer at ingenutec.com
Fri Jun 28 06:22:28 EST 2013

I apologize up front if this is the wrong place for these questions.  I'm relatively new to the OF Device Tree.  If this is the wrong place, would someone point me to the correct discussion location.

1. Is it possible to take an existing kernel build that uses a board file move only a small portion into a Device Tree.  I am working on converting a driver from supporting only the board file to supporting both the board file and the OF Device Tree.  Unfortunately, the only test platform I have with the appropriate hardware is a Nexus7 and I'm using the Cyanogenmod build.  This uses (or at least appears to use) a board file for the Nexus7.  Is it possible to write a small Device Tree description for only the driver I am working on?  Where would this device tree file be placed? How would I include it in the build? Any assistance and/or pointers would be appreciated.

2. Are there any suggestions or hints for searching for OF Device Tree information.  The term "device tree" is used pervasively in the linux code and various projects to refer to source branches of a particular device type rather than the OF Device Tree.  This makes it extremely difficult to isolate applicable answers.

Thank you,
--
Robert G. Palmer, Jr.
President