[RFC] DT affinity bindings/representing bus masters with DT

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Sun Apr 14 08:24:48 EST 2013

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 15:20:39 +0000, Lorenzo Pieralisi <lorenzo.pieralisi at arm.com> wrote:

> > > That's exactly what we are trying to do. But to associate the reg
> > > property to a master port we need a phandle, how can we pull that off
> > > otherwise ?
> >
> > Ah, right.  I was meaning that the binding specifies the abstract port
> > number that each reg entry is associated with.  I'm fine with adding a
> > property to map the port numbers to master devices on the other end.
> > I think treating it in two steps like that is better than thinking of
> > the master phandles being  directly associated with reg entries,
> > because it also handles cases like having a bank of common/global
> > registers not associated with any port/master, or cases where the
> > ports aren't all identical and some need more resources than others.
>
> That's fine by me. Can you provide me with an example of how the bindings
> should tie a specific reg property to an abstract port number ? reg properties
> ordering (ie index) ? Or port number encoded in the reg property itself ?

I think I agree with David (assuming I understand his argument
correctly). Rather than putting the information into the single node, it
is more consistent in DT terms to put that information into each of the
'users' of the device; so for each master, put in a property that
associates it with a specific port. Something like this (completely off
the top of my head; not at all fully thought out):

cpu at 0 {
	cci-port = <&cci1 0>;
}

cpu at 1 {
	cci-port = <&cci1 1>;
}

cpu at 2 {
	cci-port = <&cci1 2>;
}

gpu at c8010000 {
	cci-port = <&cci1 3>;
}

cci1: cci at c8000000 {
	reg = < ... >;
}

An arguement against that would be that it is difficult to determine
what all the bus-mastering devices are from looking at the cci node, but
in real terms you would have a lookup table in the operating system
/anyway/ for matching devices to ports and I would expect that as each
device is discovered from the DT data the OS would populate it's lookup
table.

It may be that Dave Martin's suggestion of using basically a dma-ranges
type property with a phandle would be the correct interface. I've not
thought enough about it yet to really get my head around it.