Current state of devicetree and x86

Thierry Reding thierry.reding at avionic-design.de
Sat Sep 29 06:04:21 EST 2012

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 08:13:05PM +0200, Christian Gmeiner wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I am interested in the current state of dt and x86. In general I have
> device with some
> i2c devices and gpio stuff and a coreboot based BIOS. That means I could add the
> dt into the BIOS flash and make use of it. Is there any x86 bootloader that does
> support devicetree? Has somebody some experiences?

I patched syslinux a while back to allow loading and passing a DTB to
the Linux kernel. Patches based on that work went into syslinux 4.06
IIRC. Note that currently onle the linux.c32 executable contains that
functionality but there were plans to make it available in the standard
loader in 5.00 I think.

Alternatively you could customize OpenFirmware for your device. OFW can
be built as a COM32 executable and can be run from syslinux or it can be
used as a BIOS replacement.

Thierry