[RFC] Device Tree Overlays Proposal (Was Re: capebus moving omap_devices to mach-omap2)

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Wed Nov 14 10:30:49 EST 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:09:28AM +0200, Pantelis Antoniou wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On Nov 13, 2012, at 9:25 AM, David Gibson wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 09:52:32AM -0700, Stephen Warren wrote:
> >> On 11/12/2012 05:10 AM, Pantelis Antoniou wrote:
> > [snip]
> >>
> >> Well, as Grant pointed out, it's not actually strictly necessary for the
> >> .dtb to be compatible; only the .dts /need/ be compatible, and the .dtb
> >> can be generated at run-time using dtc for example.
> >
> > So, actually, I think a whole bunch of problems with phandle
> > resolution disappear if we don't try to define an overlay .dtb format,
> > or at least treat it only as a very shortlived object.  A more precise
> > proposal below.  Note that this works more or less equally well with
> > either the original overlay approach or the graft/graft-bundle
> > proposal I made elsewhere.
> >
> > 1) We annotate the base tree with some extra label information for
> > nodes which overlays are likely to want to reference by phandle.  e.g.
> >
> > 	beaglebone_pic: interrupt-controller at XXXXX {
> > 		phandle,symbolic-name = "beaglebone_pic";
> > 	};
> >
> > We could extend dtc to (optionally?) auto-generate those properties
> > from its existing label syntax.  Not sure if that's a good idea or
> > not yet.  In any case, we compile this augmented base tree to .dtb as
> > normal and boot our kernel with it.
> >

> I'm fine with that. You can auto-generate when there's a label to a node.
> The cape dt fragment will use the label name to reference a node.
> More details below...
>
> > 2) The information for the capes/modules/whatever is
> > distributed/packaged as .dts, never .dtb.  When userspace detects the
> > new module (or the user explicitly tells it, if it's not probeable) it
> > picks up the correct dts and runs it through dtc in a special mode.
> > In this mode dtc takes the existing base tree (from /proc/device-tree,
> > say) as well as the new dts.  In this mode, dtc allocates phandles for
> > the new tree fragment so as not to collide with anything from the
> > supplied base tree (as well as avoiding internal conflicts,
> > obviously).  It also allows node references to the base tree by using
> > those label annotations from (1) to match symbolic names to the
> > phandle values in the base tree.
> >

> Not good to rely on userspace kicking off dtc and compiling from source.
> Some capes/expansion boards might have your root fs device, for example
> there is an eMMC cape coming up, while networking capes are common too.

So?  dtc can go in an initramfs, just like mdadm or whatever other
tools are there.

> However I have a compromise.
>
> I agree that compiling from source can be an option for a runtime definable
> cape, but for built-in capes we could do a bit better.
>
> In particular, I don't see any particular need to have a DT fragment
> reference anything that dependent of the runtime device tree. It should
> be possible to compile the DT fragment in kernel, against the generated
> flattened device tree, producing a flattened DT fragment with the phandles
> already resolved.

Um..?  Sorry, I can't parse that paragraph.

> So the sequence could be something like this:
>
> $ dtc -O dtb -o am335x-bone.dtb -b 0 am335x-bone.dts -@ ${LAST_PHANDLE_FILE}
> $ dtc -O dtbf -R am335x-bone.dtb -o weather-cape.dtb -b 0 weather-cape.dts -@ ${LAST_PHANDLE_FILE}
> $ dtc -O dtbf -R am335x-bone.dtb -o geiger-cape.dtb -b 0 geiger-cape.dts -@ ${LAST_PHANDLE_FILE}
>
> The ${LAST_PHANDLE_FILE} can be updated with the last phandle value generated.
>
> Alternatively we could have a way to statically assign a phandle range
> for well known capes. All the others will have to use the runtime compile
> mechanism.
> $ dtc -O dtb -o am335x-bone.dtb -b 0 am335x-bone.dts
> $ dtc -O dtbf -R am335x-bone.dtb -o weather-cape.dtb -b 0 weather-cape.dts
> $ dtc -O dtbf -R am335x-bone.dtb -o geiger-cape.dtb -b 0 geiger-cape.dts
>
> With the cape dtses having a /phandle-range/ statement at the top.
>
> This can work because the cape dts do not cross-reference each other, and
> neither the boot dts references the capes.
>
> That way we can use request_firmware() pretty early in the boot sequence
> and get the DT fragment we need even before user-space starts and root fs
> has mounted. request_firmware() can locate the fragments in the kernel
> image before rootfs.
>
> I don't know if this will cover all the cases Grant has in mind though.
>
> So just to make sure I got it right, this could work for our case.
>
> i2c2: i2c at 4819c000 {
> 	compatible = "ti,omap4-i2c";
>         #address-cells = <1>;
>         #size-cells = <0>;
>         ti,hwmods = "i2c3";
>         reg = <0x4819c000 0x1000>;
>         interrupt-parent = <&intc>;
>         interrupts = <30>;
>         status = "disabled";
> };
>
> And in the cape definition (when compiled with the special mode I describe
> below)
>
> / {
> 	plugin-bundle;
> 	compatible = "cco,weather-cape";
> 	version = <00A0>;
>
> 	i2c2-graft = {
> 		compatible = <dt,graft>;
> 		graft-point = <&i2c2>;
>
> 		#address-cells = <1>;
>                 #size-cells = <0>;
>
> 		/* Ambient light sensor */
> 		tsl2550 at 39 {
> 			compatible = "tsl,tsl2550";
> 			reg = <0x39>;
> 		};
> 	};
> };
>
> DTC when compiling in the special fragment mode will pick up that
> &i2c2 can not be resolved and lookup the phandle on the main dtb.
> That way, even 'phandle,symbolic-name = "i2c2";' is redundant.

Well, no, because I'm assuming dtc fragment mode only has access to
the base dtb, not the base dts, so labels will be gone from it, unless
we add properties to preserve them especially.  That's what the
symbolic-name thing is about.

> > 3) The resulting partial .dtb for the module is highly specific to the
> > base tree (which if the base tree was generated at runtime by firmware
> > could even be specific to a particular boot).  But that's ok, because
> > we just spit it into the kernel, absolute phandle values and all, then
> > throw it away.  Next time we need the module info, we recompile it
> > again.
> >
> >> Of course, relying on .dts compatibility rather than .dtb compatibility
> >> might negatively impact the complexity of an initrd environment if we
> >> end up loading overlays from there...
> >
> > Well, it does mean we'd need dtc in the initrd.  But dtc has no
> > library dependencies except libc, so that really shouldn't be too
> > bad.  In return we entirely avoid inventing a new phandle resolution
> > protocol.
>
> Not every board boots with initrd; most embedded boards don't use it
> at all. This way we make initrd a hard requirement.

Well, not really.  You can use initramfs, or you can assemble all the
necessary dt fragents for boot into a complete dtb included with the
kernel.  Doing that involves pretty much the same sorts of things you
need to do to statically configure a kernel for boot without
initramfs.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson