[RFC] Device Tree Overlays Proposal (Was Re: capebus moving omap_devices to mach-omap2)

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Tue Nov 13 03:52:32 EST 2012

On 11/12/2012 05:10 AM, Pantelis Antoniou wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> On Nov 10, 2012, at 1:23 AM, Stephen Warren wrote:

>>> From your perspective, is it important to use the exact same .dtb
>>> overlays for those add-on boards, or is it okay to have a separate
>>> build of the overlay for each base tree?
>>
>> I certainly think it'd be extremely beneficial to use the exact same
>> child board .dtb with arbitrary base boards.
>>

> Oh yes. In fact if one was to use a single kernel image for beagleboard
> and beaglebone, for the cape to work for both, it is required for it's
> dtb to be compatible.

Well, as Grant pointed out, it's not actually strictly necessary for the
.dtb to be compatible; only the .dts /need/ be compatible, and the .dtb
can be generated at run-time using dtc for example.

Of course, relying on .dts compatibility rather than .dtb compatibility
might negatively impact the complexity of an initrd environment if we
end up loading overlays from there...