bootloader support for DTB on x86

Dirk Brandewie dirk.brandewie at gmail.com
Wed May 23 02:17:33 EST 2012

On 05/22/2012 05:56 AM, Thierry Reding wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was looking at booting an x86-based platform using DT. However I wasn't
> able to find a bootloader that supports this. There also doesn't seem to be a
> method to append the DTB to the zImage (which I wouldn't want to use anyway).
> Does anybody know of a bootloader that supports this?

> I'm currently using syslinux (specifically extlinux) and was looking at
> perhaps adding the support myself based on the information given in
> Documentation/x86/boot.txt. However I'm not overly familiar with syslinux
> code and this could prove more difficult than I anticipate.
>
> The only x86 platforms that use DT seem to be OLPC and CE4100 and according
> to the web the OLPC has a complete OF implementation. Does anyone know which
> bootloader the CE4100 uses?

The falcon falls CE4100 based board we used to do the DT support uses redboot
The code is available at git://gitorious.org/driver-work/redboot.git

I never got to the point where the bootloader was loading the FDT from storage.
I linked the FDT blobs(s) into the kernel and used a kernel command line option
to specify the compat string for the blob the kernel should use.

You can see a snapshot of what I was using at:
https://gitorious.org/driver-work/linux/commits/base-ce4100.public

The command line parameter stuff did not get merged linking the DTB(s)
into the kernel did
aab9433 of: Add support for linking device tree blobs into vmlinux