dtsi vs dts files, where to better understand this

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Thu Mar 22 12:01:45 EST 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 02:50:09PM -0600, John Linn wrote:
> [...]

The model used by dtc for this is a "stack of overlays".  Once the
/include/s are processed you effectively have one big dts file with
several partial trees specified one after another.  The first one
always starts at /, the later ones can start at / but more likely
start at a subtree of the first tree, specified by a path or a label.

dtc then starts with the first tree and lays the later trees over it
in order.  If the same property is specified in a later tree, it
replaces the value from an earlier tree.  If the same node is
specified, its properties and subnodes are merged into the existing
version.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson