Tegra DRM device tree bindings

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Wed Jun 27 05:38:01 EST 2012

On 06/26/2012 01:27 PM, Thierry Reding wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:41:43AM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:

>>> Yes, they're configurable, and there's nothing hardware
>>> specific in the assignment of a sync point to a particular use.
>>> It's all just a software agreement. That's why I'm a bit
>>> hesitant on putting it in device trees, which are supposed to
>>> only describe hardware.
>>
>> So I think that the DT can describe the existence of sync-points
>> (presumably include a node for the sync-point HW device if it's
>> separate). However, since the usage of each sync-point is
>> entirely arbitrary, that seems like something which should be
>> either assigned dynamically at run-time, or at least
>> managed/assigned in SW at runtime somehow, rather than hard-coded
>> into DT; it's more policy than HW.
>
> The sync-points are part of the host1x device as I understand it.
> If their usage is truly generic, then we can probably ignore them
> safely. Maybe it'd make sense to carry a property that defines the
> number of sync points available for the host1x hardware represented
> by the DT?

I would assume this can safely be inferred from the compatible value;
nvidia,tegra20-host1x v.s. nvidia,tegra30-host1x, and so there's no
need to represent this in DT. I would assume (and it's certainly just
an assumption) that there are numerous other small details that are
different between the two SoCs, and so the driver will need to have
some table mapping from compatible value to various information
anyway. Terje, can you confirm/deny this (and hopefully use your
knowledge of any future chips to guide the decision without giving
anything away)?