[RFC] media DT bindings

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com
Tue Jul 31 22:08:29 EST 2012

Hi Guennadi,

On Tuesday 31 July 2012 11:26:27 Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jul 2012, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > Hi Sylwester,
> >
> > On Wednesday 18 July 2012 19:00:15 Sylwester Nawrocki wrote:
> > > On 07/16/2012 01:41 PM, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> [snip]

> > > This property might be redundant, we already have the "client" phandle
> > > pointing to "ov772x at 0x21-0", which has all interesting properties inside
> > > it. Other than there is probably no reasonable usage for it under
> > > "ceu0 at 0xfe910000" node ?

> > > OK, sorry, but isn't it all about just specifying what sort of data bus
> > > is used ? :-)
> >
> > In some (many/most ?) cases probably, but not in all of them.
> >
> > What about merging the client and remote-pad properties ? The resulting
> > property would then reference a pad with <&ov772x at 0x21-0 0>.
>
> What would the "0" parameter mean then? Pad #0?

Yes.

> But aren't these numbers device specific? Maybe not a huge deal, but these
> numbers are defind by the driver, right? Not the DT itself. So, drivers then
> will have to take care not to change their pad numbering. Whereas using
> strings, we can fix strings in the common V4L DT spec and keep them standard
> across devices and drivers. Then drivers might be less likely to change
> these assignments randomly ;-)

Userspace applications usually rely on pad numbers as well, so I consider them
as more or less part of the ABI. If we really need to, we could add a DT pad
number -> media controller pad number conversion in the driver, that would be
less expensive than pad name -> pad number conversion (especially since it
would be skipped in most cases).

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart