Pinmux bindings proposal V2

Tony Lindgren tony at atomide.com
Fri Jan 27 04:51:23 EST 2012

Hi,

* Shawn Guo <shawn.guo at linaro.org> [120126 00:53]:

> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 01:00:52PM -0800, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> > So to summarize: I suggest we'll just stick to basics to get the system
> > booting and devices working using device tree. In most cases the device
> > drivers should be able to configure the suspend and off states in a generic
> > way using pinctrl API. Everything else, like debugging, we can probably
> > do with userspace tools.
> >
> > This would mean just using a minimal subset of your binding, probably
> > very close to what you originally suggested.
> >
> IMHO, as a generic device tree binding, it should be able to cope with
> different use cases.  It's really free for you to use the minimal
> subset of the binding as your need, but we should not make the binding
> design just be that minimal subset to force that everyone else can
> only use the minimal subset.

The main issue I have is that the example posted in this thread repeats
the same registers five times for one driver entry alone in the device
tree data. The repeated registers are TEGRA_PMX_PG_DTA and TEGRA_PMX_PG_DTD
in the example.

The alternative values are something that the pinmux/pinconf driver can
set based on state changes communicated from the driver using these pins.

That's why I think these alternative states should not be listed in the
device tree.

Regards,

Tony