multiple drivers for same hardware

Stuart Yoder b08248 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 03:21:48 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Kumar Gala <galak at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> We have some scenarios in which we might have 2 different drivers (one in kernel or one user space as an example) and wanted to see how we'd convey in the device tree which driver should "claim" the specific device instance.

I don't think we want to use the device tree for this, as this is
really configuration information.

The vfio user space driver model should solve this when it is implemented.

The basic approach with vfio will be something like:
    -a new kernel argument specifies a list of devices that the kernel
should leave alone and not bind to
    -in user space, you bind desired devices to vfio through sysfs
    -the vfio subsystem makes the bound devices available through /dev/vfio
    -user space can then mmap the devices, hook their interrupts, do
     iommu config,etc through file description operations

Stuart