RFC: option to toggle dtc checks on and off

Jon Loeliger jdl at jdl.com
Tue Jan 10 01:07:30 EST 2012

> Jon, I was hoping I'd get some comment on this patch eventually.

Sorry/ .

> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 04:15:25PM +1100, David Gibson wrote:
> > Here is a draft patch which adds a -C option to dtc, allowing
> > individual semantic checks to be turned on and off.  It also allows
> > indivudual checks to be set as triggering either warnings or errors.

Turning checks on and off:  good.

> > I have a couple of concerns about it in its present form.  First, the
> > current syntax is that "-C -checkname" disables a check, "-C
> > checkname" turns a check on as a warning and "-C +checkname" turns it
> > on as an error.  I'm not convinced this is a great syntax.

Yeah, that's sub-obtimal.
What about using something like "-E checkname" and "-W checkname"?

> > Second, turning on a check will force on all prerequisite checks for
> > it.  Turning a check off will disable all checks for which it is a
> > prerequisite.  This seems necessary, since a check can't safely be
> > executed without having first checked its prereqs, but this could have
> > some very non-obvious effects from the command line.

Hmm...  That seems like maybe a small matter of documentation...?
And in which order do you apply the cmd line options for their implications?
Last one takes precedence?

HTH,
jdl