Device tree bindings for linux ramoops use

Rob Herring robherring2 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 09:38:39 EST 2012

On 01/06/2012 04:05 PM, Grant Likely wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 05:53:57PM +0000, Jamie Iles wrote:

>>> Only the ramoops-include-oopses is really the runtime configuration,
>>> so that alone in /chosen could be a good idea. But I would rather have
>>> the "partition" described as a device with a compatible field that the
>>> driver can bind against.
>>
>> I can see why that would be nice too, but to me this feels different to
>> say MTD partitions as it really is Linux specific and it doesn't seem
>> unreasonable that someone may want to include ramoops support when
>> debugging something, but for another application, use the whole of the
>> onchip RAM as a buffer.  Requiring modifications for the DT on identical
>> hardware platforms but different applications doesn't feel quite right
>> to me.  Seeing as chosen is special that doesn't feel too bad.
>
> I agree.  This is pretty low level core stuff.  The actual ramoops
> region could be anywhere as Olof says; in regular ram, in sram,
> somewhere else, but the common case is really just memory mapped ram
> that Linux needs to be told "hands off".  I would be fine with
> properties in /chosen and using /memreserve/ sections to inhibit the
> kernel from using them if they are in main memory.  There can still be
> nodes for the actual device, but that doesn't need to be explicitly
> connected to the ramoops properties in /chosen.  Implicitly by base
> address is fine by me.

Using actual system RAM will not work. Ramoops uses ioremap which is
forbidden on RAM (at least for ARM). /memreserve/ doesn't unmap the RAM,
but just doesn't allocate it. So you would have to lie to Linux and save
some RAM. There's also the issue that most likely main memory is not
preserved across resets.

So practically speaking, we are talking about an auxiliary RAM device.

I personally like the partition scheme and then device nodes like video
accelerators or audio h/w can be given portions of the RAM.

Rob