[RFC v2 2/5] tps6586x: Add device tree support

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Wed Apr 25 20:47:42 EST 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:41:47PM +0200, Thierry Reding wrote:

> After taking a closer look I don't think Rhyland's patch is very useful for
> this driver. I need to lookup the platform ID by regulator name anyway so
> using the new code is actually more work and requires a second table that
> lists the regulator names only.

Why do you need the plaform ID, and if it is needed could we work out a
way to make the generic code do that lookup for you (since presumably
other drivers will have the same requirement)?  If you can't use the
generic code it seems like the fix is to enhance the generic code and
I'd expect that something not requiring the platform ID would just be
able to igore that information if the generic code could look it up.