dtc symbolic constants - not in the preprocessor?

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Wed Apr 18 12:44:23 EST 2012

So, David has been leaning towards a simple text-based preprocessor as
the means to add symbolic constants to dtc. Depending on exactly how
much advanced expression support the dtc language ends up gaining, I'm
not so sure a text-based preprocessor is the right approach.

So, a text-based preprocessor is fine for basic stuff like:

#define FOO 5

/ {
    prop = <(FOO)>;
};

However, if the dtc language itself gains functions, iteration, etc., I
think this breaks down.

Using cpp, we could do something like:

#define TEGRA_USB1_INT_STATUS 0x7000000
#define POS(chip, reg, field) chip##_##reg##_##field##_POS

/ {
    prop1 = <(POS(TEGRA, USB1, INT_STATUS))>;
};

where you can imagine that the POS macro is calculating the name of a
symbolic constant, then reading the value of the name.

However, what if instead of hard-coding USB1 in the above example, we
want to iterate over 1, 2, 3? Expressing this iteration as a set of
functions in the dtc grammar (as in functional programming) has been
floated as an idea. In other words generate a result like:

/ {
    prop1 = <(POS(TEGRA, USB, 1, INT_STATUS))>;
    prop2 = <(POS(TEGRA, USB, 2, INT_STATUS))>;
    prop3 = <(POS(TEGRA, USB, 3, INT_STATUS))>;
};

... but using iteration in the dtc language instead of cut/paste.

If this iteration happens in the dtc language phase rather than the
preprocessing phase, then all the named constants known to the
preprocessing phase have been thrown away, and hence could never be
accessed by any functions/macros/... executing in the dtc language phase.

For this reason, I think that symbolic constants should probably be
something at the dtc language level rather than there being a separate
preprocessing phase, if we envisage dtc ever gaining anything more
complex than simple expression and symbolic constant support.

Do people agree with this?

If so, the simplest symbolic constant syntax might be:

/define/ FOO 5;

/ {
    prop = <(FOO)>;
};

(this is roughly what was in my somewhat recent /define/ patch proposal).

As an equivalent of the cpp ## operator, we could imagine something like:

/define/ TEGRA_USB1_INT_STATUS 0x7000000;
/function/ POS(chip, reg, field)
    readvar(chip + "_" + reg + "_" + field + "_POS");

/ {
    prop = <(POS("TEGRA", "USB1", "INT_STATUS"))>;
};

where readvar() is a built-in function that reads from the symbol table.

Following on from this, I've been envisaging symbolic constants holding
single integer values (perhaps strings too), as in the "FOO" example a
little above.

Simon Glass was thinking (admittedly I believe more in the context of
plain text-expansion) of allowing symbolic constants to be more than
just single integers, perhaps:

/define/ GDB_BASE 0x00e08000;
/define/ CHROME_OS_BOOT_DEVICES "emmc", "spi";
/define/ UART_BAUD_OPTIONS <115200 57600 19200>;

/ {
    prop1 = <GDB_BASE>;
    prop2 = <CHROME_OS_BOOT_DEVICES>;
    prop3 = <UART_BAUD_OPTIONS>;
};

(The syntax re: where <> appear might need some development in this
example.)

The idea here was that (some) variables might contain a sequence of
bytes just would just be dumped directly into the property data without
much interpretation.

This would presumably require symbolic constants to be typed somehow, so
that dtc would know that (GDB_BASE + 0x100) made sense, whereas
(UART_BAUD_OPTIONS + 0x100) didn't.