RFC of_boardconfig

John Crispin blogic at openwrt.org
Wed Nov 30 03:22:15 EST 2011

> How is label used?

this would be used as a name when exporting the data, however you are
right and the property name lanmac could be used here

>>                         data = <0x100 0x6>;
>>                 };
>>
>>                 wanmac {
>>                         label = "WAN";
>>                         data = <0x106 0x6>;
>>                 };
>>
>>                 ath9keeprom {
>>                         label = "eeprom";
>>                         partition = <0x200 0x200>;
>>                         magic = <0x0 0x55 0xaa 0xaa 0x55>;
>>                         no-export;
>>                 };
>>         };
>>
>> you can are then able to reference these properties from other nodes:
>>         ethernet {
>>                 compatible = "ethernet";
>>                 phy-mode = "mii";
>>                 //mac-address = [ 00 11 22 33 44 55 ];
> Why throw out the defined way to set a MAC addr and invent something
> new. If it's separating out some of the properties you want, you can
> have multiple "ethernet" nodes with some properties in each node and it
> all gets combined together at dtb compile time. I think the Tegra and
> other ARM dts files have examples of this.
>
> Rob

in my usecase there will be only 1 ethernet device. the mac is stored
inside the devices flash and will not be passed as a parameter by the
bootloader. We need to have some means to load things like mac addresses
from memory mapped flash devices. This is the reasoning behind this wrapper