Best practice for compatible strings?

Pawel Moll pawel.moll at arm.com
Fri Nov 18 20:45:44 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-11-17 at 18:46 +0000, Mitch Bradley wrote:
> The bottom line:  In my opinion, if there is no preexisting driver that
> you can't change, there is little need for a non-specific name in the
> compatible list.

I like this explanation very much indeed. And now, having a second look
at Grant's Versatile (non-express) trees I see that he had the same
approach:
	compatible = "arm,versatile-ab";
and
	compatible = "arm,versatile-pb";
without any additional generic "arm,versatile"...

It seems that I was overzealous in my attempts to abstract the reality,
although I was initially hoping that there would be a generic
"arm,vexpress" machine description. This idea died, so should the
generic compat string.

Thanks!

Paweł