[RFC 2/2] ARM:Tegra: Device Tree Support: Initialize audio card gpio's from the device tree.

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Tue May 31 04:54:41 EST 2011

>> I'm currently dealing with an SoC that has over a hundred GPIOs.
>> Whatever we choose, I think it should be able to handle an insane
>> number of GPIOs without getting any more cumbersome that is
>> necessary.
>
> This is *consumer* side GPIOs, not bindings for the device providing
> the
> GPIOs.  If a single device needs to use hundreds of GPIOs I'd expect
> many of them will be block functions so you'd have a binding with an
> array for things like "databus" and "addrbus".

But please name them like "databus-gpio", so that it is obvious what it
is.  Also have to think about how this will work with multiple GPIO
controllers: do you require the GPIO controller node to be part of every
GPIO description, or do you do some "gpio-parent" scheme as well, how
does that interact with not having a single array of GPIOs?

Better write this down as a binding, before committing to it :-)

Segher