mpc8250 device tree 2.6.38

suresh chandra bdebug at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 09:02:43 EST 2011

Hi All,

I am trying to boot Linux-2.6.38 on custom build MPC8250 board with all
SCC's and SMC's configured as UART's.
As device tree file for 8250 is not available I referred mpc8272ads file and
created the one attached.

I could able to use SMC1 or SCC1 as serial port in u-boot.

I could get Linux serial console on SCC1 but not on SMC1. Port configuration
has been set correctly in Linux.

For some reasons Linux serial console on SCC requires user to press <ENTER>
key to  enter the console and also to mount root file system.

One more strange problem is, console won't come up if I pass boot argument
console=ttyCPM0,115200 through u-boot.
I am passing stdout-path through device tree file for serial console

I am not sure where I am doing mistake.
I set the  cpm-muram-data to <0 4000>. Rest of the DPRAM is reserved.

I request you to go through device tree file and suggest a solution. I need
SMC1 to work as serial console.

Thanks,
Suresh