RFC: Platform data for onboard USB assets

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Sat Mar 19 08:36:36 EST 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de> wrote:
> No, that is not the plan. The platform data is well-established
> for deeply embedded systems (blackfin, arm-nommu, mips32, ...) where you
> never want to build a kernel for multiple boards anyway. We also
> have ways to generate platform_data from the device tree properties
> to allow the same driver to be used by systems with or without
> full device trees, and we have the fragments I mentioned that work
> in the opposite way.

Not actually true.  We have drivers that can use both platform_data
and device tree data, and for platform devices the resource table is
automatically populated with irqs and register ranges, but
platform_data is driver specific which prevents any automatic
translation.

Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.
Secret Lab Technologies Ltd.