RFC: Platform data for onboard USB assets

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Mar 18 19:38:05 EST 2011

On 03/18/2011 08:25 AM, Somebody in the thread at some point said:
> On Friday 18 March 2011, Andy Green wrote:
>> On 03/17/2011 11:27 PM, Somebody in the thread at some point said:
>>
>>> The patch below also looks right to me.  I believe it also has the
>>> advantage of u-boot already knowing how to update the
>>> local-mac-address property at boot time.
>>
>> In my (tested, working, complete) patch series, I allow platform_data
>> based override of MAC at usbnet level, so all the drivers can benefit
>> from it.
>>
>> Is this not a case of "small thinking" from a Device Tree perspective
>> that Arnd's patch only targets smsc95xx?  Or did I miss some
>> disadvantage to allowing this functional configuration option at usbnet
>> layer?
>
> I think either way works (usb-net or individual drivers), the difference is
> which information you use when both a hardware MAC address and the
> local-mac-address property are used. Your patch uses the local-mac-address,
> mine would use the hardware mac address and only fall back to the
> property if there is no other one.
>
> I still need to look at your patch series, I didn't realize you had
> already sent it.

Yeah I sent it last Saturday.  Whether the MAC override from
platform_data has precedence over EEPROM info is a matter of taste, in
this set it overrides even EEPROM.  Note the smsc95xx patch crept into
the Panda-specific set.

Platform series: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=129996915023642&w=2
USB Host + Usbnet series:
Panda-specific: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=129997032724779&w=2