[RFC 2/2] ARM:Tegra: Device Tree Support: Initialize audio card gpio's from the device tree.

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Wed Jun 1 04:42:53 EST 2011

On 5/31/2011 7:55 AM, Stephen Warren wrote:
> [...]
>> GPIOs share the need to "point across the tree to different nodes", but
>> it is unclear that there is a need for a entirely different hierarchy.
>>
>> That suggests the possibility of using the device tree addressing
>> mechanism as much as possible.  Normal device tree addresses could be
>> used to specify GPIO numbers.
>>
>> Suppose we have:
>>
>>      gpio-controller1: gpio-controller {
>>          #address-cells =<2>;
>>          #mode-cells =<2>;
>>          gpio1: gpio at 12,0 {
>>              reg =<12 0>;
>>              mode =<55 66>;
>>              usage = "Audio Codec chip select";  /* Optional */
>>          }
>>      };
>>      gpio-controller2: gpio-controller {
>>          #address-cells =<1>;
>>          #mode-cells =<1>;
>>          gpio2: gpio at 4 {
>>              reg =<4>;
>>              #mode-cells =<1>;
>>          }
>>      };
>
> A quick note on the way that Tegra's devicetree files are broken up in
> Grant's devicetree/test branch:
>
> * There's "tegra250.dtsi" which defines everything on the Tegra SoC
>    itself.
> * There's a per-board e.g. harmony.dts which includes tegra250.dtsi,
>    And additionally:
>    ** Defines all devices on the board
>    ** Hence, defines the usage of e.g. all the Tegra GPIOs for the
>       board.
>
> I like this model, because it shares the complete definition of the
> Tegra SoC in a single file, rather than duplicating it with cut/paste
> into every board file.
>
> As such, the code quoted above would be in tegra250.dtsi.
>
> This has two relevant implications here:
>
> 1) The names "gpio1" and "gpio2" would be driven by the Tegra SoC's
> naming of those GPIO pins, and not any board-specific naming, e.g.
> "tegra_gpio_px1", "tegra_gpio_pb5". Equally, the usage comment would
> be at the client/reference site, not the GPIO definition site.
>
> 2) The GPIO mode should be defined by the client/user of the GPIO, not
> the SoC's definition of that GPIO.
>
> Without those two conditions, we couldn't share anything through
> tegra250.dtsi.
>
> Re-iteration of these implications below.
>
>>      [...]
>>      chipsel-gpio =<&gpio1>,
>>          <&gpio-controller1 13 0 55 77>,
>>          <0>, /* holes are permitted, means no GPIO 2 */
>>          <&gpio2 88>,
>>          <&gpio-controller2 5 1>;
>
>> A GPIO spec consist of:
>>
>> 1) A reference to either a gpio-controller or a gpio device node.
>>
>> 2) 0 or more address cells, according to the value of #address-cells in
>> the referenced node.  If the node has no #address-cells property, the
>> value is assumed to be 0.
>
> I'd expect address cells only if referencing a gpio-controller; if
> referencing a gpio device node, the address would be implicit.

Yes.  But I think it's better if there is a single rule for interpreting
the GPIO spec, namely look at the #address-cells property, rather than
deciding implicitly based on the type of the referent node.

>> 3) 0 or more mode cells, according to the value of #mode-cells in the
>> referenced node.
>
> Yes, I agree. Although, I think your (3) is inconsistent with the gpio
> controller definitions you wrote above, which include the mode
> definitions in the controller instead of the user.

Hmmm.  I think I got the example right.

Both of the gpio controller definitions have explicit "#address-cells"
and "#mode-cells" properties, and neither has "mode".  Both references
to controller nodes have mode values in the user spec.

gpio1 has "mode" but not "#mode-cells", and the reference to it has no
mode value.

gpio2 has "#mode-cells=1" but not "mode", and the reference to it has
one mode value.

Am I missing something?

>> In the example, the chipsel-gpio specs are interpreted as:
>>
>> <&gpio1>   -  refers to a pre-bound gpio device node, in which the
>> address (12 0) and mode (55 66) are specified within that node.
>
> Just re-iterating: I'd prefer mode to be solely in the reference, and
> not in the gpio controller.

I agree that it doesn't make much sense for a controller node to specify
the mode.  My example doesn't do that.  The only mode value is in an
individual gpio node, not a controller node.

 From the standpoint of a SoC manufacturer, specifying modes in the
reference is probably a good idea.  But it's not necessarily best in all
cases.  If the focus of attention is a board design with numerous
variants and revisions, "binding" the modes of specific gpio pins
according to the board wiring may be the right thing.

The way I specified it lets you choose.

> Does this SoC/board segregation make sense to everyone? Obviously it
> does to me:-)

It makes perfect sense from one viewpoint, but I think that board
vendors may have a different focus.  The flexibility to specify a mode
in either place costs little, as the parsing rule is definite and
straightforward.  SoC vendors are free to defer mode decisions until
later, by omitting "mode" and supplying "#mode-cells" in their device
tree templates.  Board vendors could choose either to use the SoC
vendor's template verbatim, or to amend it with additional
board-specific information.