[Power.org:parch] devicetree: Musings on reserved regions

Dan Hettena danh at ghs.com
Tue Feb 8 09:50:52 EST 2011

I've seen three types of reserved regions so far:

(1) Reserved regions that are permanently reserved. For example,
    RAM used for configuration of a device not communicated in the
    device tree. Nothing further needs to be said about this class.
(2) Reserved regions that are in use by something in the device tree
    (for example, a spin table, or a frame buffer for a video device).
    The client program can free these if it recognizes the node that
    is using them and reprograms it (e.g., boot all processors, or
    reprogram the video device).
(3) Reserved regions that contain data the client program might want to
    use but are not actually being used by the hardware for anything.
    For example, a RAM root file system.

I think this points strongly at having type 2 and type 3 reservations specified along with the nodes that make use of them, so that the client program can free the memory as soon as it has caused the reserved memory to no longer be in use for the purpose for which it was reserved (provided that we make it clear that reservations declared as such are not permitted to overlap).

Primarily because of type 1 reservations, I see no conflict between the conventional reservations list and the idea of explicitly identifying single-purpose reservations throughout the device tree where they are used.

However, in the spirit of distributing memory nodes, I think I would rather see the conventional reservations list moved to the corresponding memory nodes (with an added rule that a reservation may not cross a reg entry boundary, since that's just a big pain). If we're going to work towards keeping crap out of the header, then I don't see why the reservations block should be treated any differently.

Dan