[uclinux-dist-devel] touch screen ads7846/7843 devicetree support

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Thu Feb 3 03:03:55 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:24:01PM +0000, Hennerich, Michael wrote:
> Thomas Chou wrote on 2011-01-27:
> > arm/mips/x86.
> >>
> >> what part are you using exactly ?
> >> -mike
> >>

> > ad7843 is used in a popular nios2 dev kit, NEEK.
>
> This driver is a SPI bus client driver. PPC is using devicetree for ages now,
> and they don't have problems instantiating this or any other SPI bus driver.

However, the method used is by applying a heuristic (of_modalias_node)
which tries to name the device in a way that will match an existing
device driver.  It works for a lot of spi drivers, but it isn't
always reliable.

Alternatively, if of_match_table is populated in the spi_driver, then
the normal device tree match behaviour will always work.