How to handle named resources with DT?

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Sat Aug 13 00:40:21 EST 2011

On Friday 12 August 2011, Cousson, Benoit wrote:
> > Arnd Bergmann:
> > But I really don't think there is value in using IORESOURCE_DMA for this.
> > We don't have the code to manage DMA resources for more than one DMA
> > controller AFAICT, and I think we should not add it. Globally
> > unique interrupt numbers cause us a lot of trouble and we go to great
> > lengths to fake them on modern devices.
>
> Yeah, that totally makes sense. We do have several DMA engines in OMAP
> anyway, so unique number is clearly not the best approach.
> But in that case, it means adding a new kernel API for that and not only
> an of_XXX one. Because driver should then rely on it with or without DT.
>
> > It would be much better
> > not to have them visible in the OS, and I don't want to add them to
> > a modern API like the dmaengine.
>
> That part is less clear to me, what does it means?

I mean you can have DMA channel numbers visible in the device
tree, relative to a 'parent' dma controller, but I would not
expose them as numbers on a device driver interface. Instead,
I think the interface we provide to the device driver is one
where we pass the device using the DMA channel into a generic
dmaengine API and let that figure out where it's connected
in order to return a struct dma_chan pointer.

	ARnd