[Power.org:parch] cpu nodes and Power ISA categories

Steve Thurber sthurber at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 22 23:47:11 EST 2010

Specifically, I believe it is "Power" (upper case "P", lower case "ower").
 Prior to sometime in history, it was POWER (all upper case).
Steve Thurber
  Senior Technical Staff Member
    IBM Power Systems Platform Architecture

From:   David Gibson <dwg at au1.ibm.com>
To:     Dan Hettena <danh at ghs.com>
Cc:     devicetree-discuss <devicetree-discuss at lists.ozlabs.org>,
"parch at power.org" <parch at power.org>
Date:   09/21/2010 11:18 PM
Subject:        Re: [Power.org:parch] cpu nodes and Power ISA categories
Sent by:        <parch at power.org>

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 07:34:03AM -0700, Dan Hettena wrote:
> > > That would be fine if powerpc were changed to power.
> >
> > Um.. why?  I thought the name of the actual architecture was "PowerPC"
> > and that "power" was just an IBM brand name (where POWER3 and later in
> > the line are PowerPC architecture compliant).
>
> "Power" has been the name of the architecture ever since 2.03.
>
> "PowerPC" was the name of the Server architecture only through 2.02
> (and also of the original AIM architecture). AFAIK, all new
> implementations of the Power Architecture outside IBM's 4xx line
> avoid using the "PowerPC" name.

Huh.  Shows how up to date I am.  Ok, "power" it is.

--
David Gibson                                             | I'll have my
music baroque, and my code
                                                                 | _way_
_around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson