ARM machine specific DT probing

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Thu Sep 9 05:43:57 EST 2010

While reviewing the ARM DT patches I've come to a misunderstanding of
how the specific machine support is meant to be matched with DT.

What Jeremy did is to add a probe_dt method in the mdesc structure, and
then the core is calling them in sequence until one of them returns
success.

now, the "compatible" property is explained here:

http://devicetree.org/Device_Tree_Usage#Understanding_the_compatible_Property

>From my understanding, this could allow for a kernel that doesn't yet
support the specifics of a particular board to still be able to work
using basic common support.  But for this to work, wouldn't it be
necessary for the core code to try to find the best match itself rather
than letting each machine's  probe_dt decide on their own?

Nicolas