[RFC] smsc911x device tree binding questions

Lorenzo Pieralisi Lorenzo.Pieralisi at arm.com
Fri Sep 3 22:02:17 EST 2010

Yes, we could try something like the code in smsc911x_init
(BYTE_TEST pair of reads) but more generic to "probe" for the interconnection
and set the flags accordingly.

A question though(16-bit/32-bit controllers, e.g. 9118):

If the device is strapped to 16-bit host bus mode, a single read 32-bit would
reveal us if the bus converts the load 32-bit to two load 16-bit or
not because the D[31:16] data bus lines are left in a high impedance state.
Right ?

Maybe a pair of reads - same address -  is safer, the controller invalidate
the read (what does it mean in terms of bytes read ?) if it samples the same
address (load 32 not split in 16-bit loads) on consecutive reads.
If the conversion is correct the smsc returns the BYTE_TEST value otherwise
we would notice the problem.

I can write the code in the DT port context, but I do not have any
16-bit strapped smsc lan controller at hand, so I cannot test it, but I can post
the patch for review and testing on the list.

> [...]
> > > #define SMSC911X_FORCE_EXTERNAL_PHY     (BIT(3))
> > >
> > > - The device tree allows to describe the mdio bus and all PHYs which
> are present
> > > on a given controller. Again for controllers having just an internal
> PHY there
> > > is nothing to force, just use the internal PHY and that's it, that's
> what
> > > the driver does. If the controller supports both EXT and internal PHY,
> > > since the internal PHY is always at address 0x1 (am I correct ?), we
> may define
> > > something like:
> > > if the tree defines a PHY @ 0x1 ("reg" property) let's use it (force
> it or at
> > > least higher priority than ext phy if both are defined), otherwise if
> the tree
> > > defines a PHY which is not @ 0x1 let's use it (force ext).
> > > If no PHY is specified in the tree, let's resort to HW probing
> (EXT_PHY_DET in
> > > HW_CFG reg).
> >
> > I'd say, if there is no phy data provided in the tree then default to
> > the internal phy.  Otherwise, use the phy pointed to by the phy-device
> > property.  It is also possible to specify a phy in the tree without an
> > address to make the kernel probe for the address (although I need to
> > double check that the support for it has actually been merged).
> >
> > > All in all, this means: just use the info from the tree, if there are
> no
> > > PHYs specified resort to HW probing for EXT PHY, if it fails use
> internal.
> > >
> > > Acceptable ?
>
> Yes, bearing in mind that the majority of users do use the internal PHY
> this
> sounds like a sensible plan.
>
> > > * save MAC ADDRESS
> > >
> > > #define SMSC911X_SAVE_MAC_ADDRESS               (BIT(4))
> > >
> > > -  Since we can encode the mac address in the device tree
> ("local-mac-address"
> > > property) I am not sure this flag is useful if probing from the tree
> is enabled.
> > > It is used if the chip is not fitted with an EEPROM, to save the MAC
> address
> > > set by a boot-loader before resetting the chip (at probe). Since we
> can still
> > > retrieve the MAC from the tree and reprogram it when the content of
> the
> > > registers is gone at reset, maybe there is no point in using the
> option
> > > (if probing from the tree) or at least no point in defining the flag
> in
> > > the tree.
> >
> > I'd agree, this isn't really useful in the device tree use case; but a
> > property can be added for it if it was really necessary.
>
> Yes, this is just a workaround for a specific use case: the bootloader
> "owns" the
> MAC address configuration data and it's relatively hard to access this

Ok, all points taken, binding and relative code in progress.