Proposal: new device-tree syntax and semantics for extendinginformation from included dts files

John Bonesio bones at secretlab.ca
Sat Oct 16 08:25:51 EST 2010

Just for reference, here is a sample segment of the grammar for
the /trim-node/ and /remove-node/ syntax:

devicetree:
	  '/' nodedef
		{
			$$ = name_node($2, "");
		}
	| devicetree '/' nodedef
		{
			$$ = merge_nodes($1, $3);
		}
	| devicetree DT_REF nodedef
		{
			struct node *target;

			target = get_node_by_label($1, $2);
			if (target)
				merge_nodes(target, $3);
			else
				yyerror("label does not exist in "
					" node redefinition");
			$$ = $1;
		}
	| devicetree DT_REPLACENODE DT_REF nodedef
		{
			struct node *target;

			target = get_node_by_label($1, $3);
			if (target)
				replace_nodes(target, $4);
			else
				yyerror("label does not exist in "
					" node redefinition");
			$$ = $1;
		}
	| devicetree DT_REMOVENODE DT_REF ';'
		{
			struct node *target;

			target = get_node_by_label($1, $3);
			if (target)
				remove_nodes(target);
			else
				yyerror("label does not exist in "
					" node redefinition");
			$$ = $1;
		}
	;

With the /remove-node/ part, it's a syntax error to have anything but
';' after the node reference, and with /trim-node/, it's a syntax error
to have anything but '{ ... }' after it.

- John