Alignment of mixed-data type items in properties

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Tue Nov 9 16:09:49 EST 2010

The reason for not aligning in Open Firmware
property values because I got tired of having
to fix structures that needed different padding
when moving to different systems.  I just decided
to dispense with alignment, constructing property
values with serialization functions and reading
them with deserialization functions.

People often get away with structure-based property
access techniques, but the "official model" is based
on a byte stream of concatenated elements with no
internal alignment.

Mitch Bradley