Using devices trees on X86

Stephen Neuendorffer stephen.neuendorffer at xilinx.com
Tue Jun 29 03:57:33 EST 2010

Grant,

OK, here's the current set of patches...  The end goal of which is to be
able to parse a device
tree and generate a set of struct device objects on any architecture,
but specifically X86.
I can't see that much of this is anywhere near
final form, hence the lack of signed-off-by lines.  It does compile on
X86, although it's not
clear that I actually get any devices discovered behind the PCI bus yet.
I'll summarize a couple
of issues, that you can see in somewhat concrete form in the patches:

1) no _ALIGN on x86, which you've already dealt with
2) config OF is currently implemented in the architecture code.  This
should be non-architecture dependent and selected by the arches that
need it.
3) Theres a bunch of support functions that drivers/of requires.  Some
are just stubs and some seem to actually
do something non-trivial (like the SMP affinity mappings).  Probably all
of this should get stubs with weak symbols so that the arches don't have
to do anything special, especially since I expect pushback from adding
this architecture code "Just for device trees".

Comments greatly appreciated, in particular if you have
likely-to-be-easy-to-get-accepted suggestions for 3), or feel like
carefully solving 2) in
a way which doesn't bork the existing of-based arches.

Steve