Device Tree "Status" Property Question

Yoder Stuart-B08248 B08248 at freescale.com
Tue Jan 5 01:50:43 EST 2010

labs.org [mailto:devicetree-discuss->
bounces+stuart.yoder=freescale.com at lists.ozlabs.org] On
> Behalf Of John Schmoller
> Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 10:58 AM
> To: devicetree-discuss at lists.ozlabs.org
> Subject: Device Tree "Status" Property Question
>
> Hello all,
>
> I'm currently working with U-Boot to pass POST results to Linux in an
> FDT.  To do this, I'm intending to use the "status" property, as
> documented in ePAPR 1.0 (I'm using PowerPC).  My question involves the
> "fail-sss" property value.  What is the intention of "sss"?
> Is it meant
> to be 3 digit error code, or a string, or what?  I'd like to append a
> failure message to the value if that's appropriate.  Something like
> "fail-Widgit X did not respond" or some such thing.  Please
> let me know
> if that's not the intended use of the "fail-sss" value.

This property comes from IEEE-1275 and it's described use in that
spec is that the "sss" is human readable information.   So a message
as you described seems perfectly fine.  I've seen nothing that would
indicate a 3 digit error code is intended.

We plan to do a minor rev to the ePAPR in the near future and will
clarify that when we do it.

Stuart