phy address in the device tree, vs auto probing

Andy Fleming afleming at freescale.com
Thu Feb 11 06:46:06 EST 2010

On Feb 10, 2010, at 1:20 PM, Grant Likely wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Fleming Andy-AFLEMING
> <afleming at freescale.com> wrote:

There's no way to know.  That's what I'm saying.  We shouldn't modify the of_mdio code to say which PHY is which.  Instead, we have the MDIO/ethernet code do that.  And maybe this means that they can't use of_mdio.  Or maybe we need to devise a scheme so you can specify those PHYs, but delay associating them with an address until later.

Andy