microblaze console init

Walter Goossens waltergoossens at home.nl
Sun Dec 12 09:15:31 EST 2010

On 12/11/10 10:59 PM, Grant Likely wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Walter Goossens<waltergoossens at home.nl>  wrote:
>> I do still have one concern, do I understand correctly that there is no way
>> to do address-translation (the "ranges" stuff) on a flattenend tree, using
>> the of_get_flat_dt_* functions? This would mean that this code would fail to
>> get the correct address for a uartlite connected to a bus that has
>> address-translation.
> Correct, none of the flat tree core code tries to do any range
> translation.  In fact, it does very little in the way of looking at
> reg properties at all.  Only the absolute bare minimum required to get
> through early boot.  It could be done, but there really hasn't been a
> use case for it up to this point.  Instead, ranges can be translated
> after the tree has been unflattened into the live form.
>
> g.

thanks for the quick response!
I was afraid of this... I'm affraid I do need to use it in the nios
code, well I don't need to but in order to be flexible (and use the
design I'm working with right now) but I would prefer it. The way around
this I currently use is a special parameter in chosen with the address
of the "early uart" (it's only used for early printk).
What's cleanest approach here? An extra property in "chosen" or range
translation in the flatttened tree?

Walter