new device tree binding review process idea

Yoder Stuart-B08248 B08248 at freescale.com
Wed Apr 7 01:04:05 EST 2010

> Device tree 'bindings' document how individual devices are described
> in the device tree.  For any given device, the binding says what
> properties and nodes a device driver needs to use the device.
>
> This page documents the process for writing and reviewing new
> bindings.  New bindings are written for new devices that cannot be
> handled by existing bindings.
>
> == Creating a new draft binding ==
> * New draft bindings shall be written in plain-text format using the
> Mediawiki markup language, ideally as a new page in this wiki.

I think the review and approval process looks good, no issues
with it.

I do question whether we want bindings created in Mediawiki markup
languages vs just plain text.

I've created a couple of example bindings based on the ePAPR
ns16550 binding (using a binding template we have been using
internally at Freescale for a couple of years):

Plain text: http://fdt.secretlab.ca/Compatible%3Dsry,ns16550-v1

Mediawiki: http://fdt.secretlab.ca/Compatible%3Dsry,ns16550-v2

You could get a lot more fancy than that and use tables or
something, but the more Mediawiki-ized the text gets the harder
it to review the source text on a mailing list.

Another thing to consider is whether eventually we want to
maintain approved bindings in git.  It would be convenient
to do a git clone of a device-tree-bindings.git repo, be able to
grep it, etc.  Say you want to find all bindings that use
a certain property.   I'm not sure how good the Mediawiki
search is.

So, my vote would be to require a plain text format/template
that should be used with no Mediawiki markup.  The binding
would be posted on the wiki between <pre></pre> tags.

The plain text will give some flexibility in how the binding
could be used in other contexts.

> * Authors and reviews should work toward a consensus on the binding.
> * When consensus is reached, ask one of the device tree binding
> maintainers mark the binding as 'approved'.
> * '''(TBD: who are the maintainers going to be?  How does someone
> contact the maintainers)'''

To start with I think each company should designate a maintainer
for company-specific bindings.

Stuart Yoder